Didn't get in that summer vacation? There's still time to plan a quick and fun "staycation" before the school year begins! We asked you, our readers, to share your best staycation ideas. Read on for our top Florida staycation picks and tips for some last minute fun and relaxation.
Central Florida/Space Coast Picks
- Stay cool and take in a show at the Orlando Repertory Theater
- Seaworld Summer Nights and Block Party nightly events
- Visit Historic Downtown Sanford and check out their monthly Art Walk
- Free live summer concert series at the Daytona Beach Oceanfront Bandshell
- Get in a "Last Splash" at Wet n' Wild Orlando and save on tickets; the park is closing at the end of the year
- Swim, snokel, scuba at one of Florida's many springs
Treasure Coast/South Florida Picks
- Experience Vizcaya Museum & Gardens in Miami
- Visit the Florida Keys, just a short but scenic drive from Miami
- The Environmental Learning Center features a 64-Acre Natural Lagoon Island Preserve
- Unique guided tours available at Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Ft. Pierce
- Enjoy dinner with a view and a stay to remember at Area 31 in the Epic Hotel, Miami
Mid State Picks
- Cool off at the Florida Aquarium
- Check out one of Florida's top local wineries
- Visit Sunsets at Pier 60 and enjoy the beautiful Gulf sunsets and daily festival
- Take a tour or free class at Hydro Harvest Farms for fresh U-pick fruits and veggies
- Deborah Anderson Holthouse
Florida natural springs and rivers!
- Andrea Russell
Researching the lowest attendance days at the parks and taking a mid-week day off for some theme park time. I did this once around November I believe, and we didn't experience any wait longer than 5 minutes in the whole park (Universal Studios).
Checking out Hotel Tonight for hotel deals on short notice. Since they're same-day open rooms they're looking to fill, the rates are usually pretty good.
Googling "free guides" for some of your favorite FL areas for a staycation experience that doesn't cost anything. I discovered a few things in Orlando that I didn't even know about despite having lived there for years.
Do you have other great staycation ideas in your community? It's not too late to comment on our Facebook post to add your input!